Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bicyclingforum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How often do you alert when passing?
Topic Started: Sep 13 2017, 03:42 PM (68 Views)
MacClyver
Member Avatar
Cruiser
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
So today riding home from campus. This guy rides up next to me tries to strike up a short conversation. Try to be amenable and after a little bit he seems to be faster and goes off ahead.

Only we were too close in ability, and a couple minutes later I pass him.

And you guessed it then a few minutes later he passes me again. And in a scolding voice tell me "Hey don't ride like an idiot you got to call out every time you pass someone." I guess I responded too quietly because he quickly followed up "I know you heard me don't ride like an IDIOT"

After a short verbal skirmish I backed off and got off the trail first chance I got... ONE: Scolding unsolicited advice to a stranger really??? and TWO: Calling a complete stranger idiot twice in rapid sucession... [sarcasm]Yeah, that's really how you convince people to change their ways...[/sarcasm]

Anyways this is when I alert people: When I have to pass within a foot and a half of them, if I'm going slow, or if they appear to moving erratically.

If someone is biking or walking in a straight line and I have enough space I pass silently. before when I tried to be more well mannered I found a large minority of people move left when you call out "On your left" thereby forcing you to take evasive actions usually jumping the curb onto the street. Now not saying I never need to be evasive when passing unannounced but it works out better more often. I have never hit anyone on bike anyway. And sorry just kinda needed to rant...

Anyone else wish to share their opinion on the topic?
Biking to inflate MPG
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Johnny Thunder
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I pass quietly in most cases and never had anyone yell at me. You are right though. If you call out people seem to move right in front of you.
Posted Image
Ride what you like

tony
Hardcore
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I kinda observe how they are riding, walking and go from there. Sometimes I call out "on your left" and other times I don't. I never had someone yell at me though...at least not for that, yet. lol

rwf 1944
Cruiser
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
i agree with tony, i usually say comming past but a lot of the time they don't hear me because they are wearing earbuds and walking three or four abreast while they are all talking at once at that point i slow down and hope for the best

MacClyver
Member Avatar
Cruiser
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
To clear up, this biker was yelling at me for not alerting other people who were walking. Good to know I'm not alone on this.
Biking to inflate MPG

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Bicycling Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply